Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vulnerable



vul·ner·a·ble adj. a. Susceptible to physical or emotional injury.


Wow. According to that definition I’m as vulnerable as you can get. Not only should I live life in a bubble to avoid every cold, allergy and virus that comes my way but my heart has always been wide open target for emotional injury. Sicknesses go away but the emotional scars well they stay along for the ride. I’m afraid to admit that I have allowed these past hurts affect me in my present. I tell myself that being vulnerable is always what leads to something bad… don’t say this Melissa and don’t do that Melissa – that’s how everything gets screwed up! I’ll let myself believe that I’m just not worth it and how could anyone possibly want this tangled redheaded mess

I’m so iMpErFeCt.

I’m not model material and I’m definitely not the most graceful chic you’ve ever met. Hey and I burn food from time to time… oh the list goes on in my head. I just let it go on until I’ve completely talked myself back into a shell where I’ve absolutely insisted that its better for me to just stay in there and say nothing at all.

Living life inside the shell makes it hard to breathe... I want to burst out and shout without abandon my thoughts my feelings my fears…. Just let it out and not care. Then there’s that vulnerable thing again…

Has this been you?

Vulnerability is transparency. It’s being open – being present. It takes a great deal of trust. I’ve realized that I need to stop viewing it as a weakness but rather as a strength.

Vulnerable is beauty in itself. If you are able to be present with others in such an open and humbling way then your light shines brighter than any models perfectly whitened teeth. Allow yourself to be just you and continue to show love fearlessly. Emotional scars exist but they show strength. They are reminders of what you thought you were never capable of surviving and are now standing… and tall.


“To love at all is to be vulnerable” C.S. Lewis

5 comments:

  1. A very deep post. We are at our best open to experience but almost always retreat to our shells of familiarity. Thank you for putting yourself out there. Never easy to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thought to ponder...
    Good post...isn't it amazing that what we think about "me" inside of "me" is never the truth of the beauty we project to the world...
    Sometimes that voice inside of us, when it speaks negative, is a liar!
    You are beautiful!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. The inner voice can be tricky... you are right about that :-) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm at work broωsing your blog fгοm my
    nеw applе iρhone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blοg аnd look forωaгd to all youг pοsts!
    Keep up the gгeаt work!

    my web ρage - receipt template

    ReplyDelete