Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Challenge


As a kid I was really shy.



I spent a lot of time alone or in the company of adults. I picked up a large vocabulary and read encyclopedias for fun. My creative energy was spent coloring or drawing. I even had my own “newspaper” that I loved writing stories for.


I created for myself a safe environment that was free of criticism and ridicule. Trust has always been a shaky subject. I learned to analyze everyone and everything instead of just taking small risks that could be potentially great. I knew the little world I had created for myself was harmless.


Yet inside that shell was POTENTIAL that needed to be unleashed.


As a teenager I started to take small steps outside of the comfort zone.


I joined majorettes and twirled a baton in front of big crowds
I sang solos at church
I gave up most of my public speaking fear in college when I pushed myself through a speech class – and survived!


I said goodbye to the shy girl but remnants of her trust issues and insecurities remain.


I AM A WORK IN PROGRESS – but really, shouldn’t we all be??


I have this need to push myself out of my comfort zone from time to time. If I’m not being challenged I feel like I’m not living life to its full potential. So, I strive to challenge myself often.


My goals are to make the most out of me as I possibly can.


Have you challenged yourself lately?

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    I would never have thought...I am truly being blessed getting to know you through your writing!
    Keep up the challenge...you are winning!
    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete