Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Place



I love the ocean.

It’s where I run to when I want to clear my mind and truly feel relaxed.  I never really questioned why I always retreated to ocean side scenery whenever I had the need to escape… it just always just felt right.  Today I really gave it a lot more thought.  

Newport, RI is always my first choice.  I love the historical colonial homes that line the quaint cobblestone roads.  It reminds me of New England roots and when times were simple.   Thames Street is filled with a flavor for every taste.  The eclectic choices in the shops allow you to peruse art stores, music, coffee, antiques…. Etc.  Newport also has the stunning Cliff Walk which boasts 3.5 miles of walking along side a gorgeous open ocean view. 

Now this isn’t a blog post on Newport tourism but I wanted to give you just a small idea of what it’s like.

And then there are the boats…

Boats bring me back to my childhood – a time when I wasn’t required to think about work and life, it was just all play.  Summer as a kid meant heading to the marina and setting sail for the open waters.  There was no arguing, no school, no high expectations… it was just relaxed people enjoying nature and the free feeling of coasting on top of water.  I remember hanging my feet over the side of the boat just to feel the splash of the water.  I could sit there for hours amused by how it tickled my feet.  

Why the ocean?

The salt water smell
The ocean breeze
The sound of the waves rolling in
The rush of the water…..
Its mind cleansing and it always brings me back into focus.

This is my happy place.

No one hurts me here.  The ocean is open and welcoming.  It surrounds me with peace.  There is no denying the power of the ocean.  When you stand by a shoreline and look as far as your eyes can take you, well, there is just no denying that God made this.  If God could make something so beautiful, powerful and yet so calming and refreshing then there is no denying that he made us all with the same idea in mind.   We are all something great in His eyes – time to start believing it too.

So I’m curious – where is your happy place?

2 comments:

  1. For me at the Jersey Shore...

    I haven't gotten to the Ocean/Beach much that last few years, but...

    Lately, for me, I have savored the scent of the sea salt in the spring breeze...the sound of the Ocean/Bay when it is quiet...and have been summertime aware of call of my beach eagles (sea gulls!) like they know I am well enough to walk the beach and behold the God Power of Atlantic...
    Awesome Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i lived in R.I., Beavertail was my happy place, pretty much for most of the same reasons you explained. Now that i live in N.H., i would have to say the White Mountains, the cool brisk air and the rushing of the water down the mountain side, it's just soooo soothing to me. I can sit there and clear my mind of ANYTHING. Plus the long ride their is relaxing and very worth it to me. When i leave their i feel like a whole new man, kinda like i was reborn all over again.

    ReplyDelete