Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Trust30 Day 8 Writing Challenge - Five Years

Five Years by Corbett Barr

There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?
***************************************************************************

To Me - Five Years Ago

Dear Me from the past,

Hello - how were you? (haha just a little "past humor") 

I would like to let you know that the next five years aren't going to be any more fun than the previous five but you will learn a lot about perseverance. You will also learn how much you can handle to the very limits of your being. I wish I could have told you then to learn how to contain your feelings a little more - it might have saved you a lot of heartache. But, I know me um.. you... and I know you are stubborn and well there's no stopping what you feel is there?  Those emotions are strong and take over your brain and cloud your judgement.  It will lure in the wrong people and scare away most of the good ones.  Oh Melissa, when will you get it? 

Hopefully in the next five years...  


To Me - Five Years Ahead

Dear Me in the future,

You better have got a handle on that whole wearing your heart on your sleeve stuff.  I sure hope you didn't turn bitter and cold from the many disappointments you most likely have faced.  I hope you haven't lost your sense of humor and your love of simplicity in life.  If this is what happened well SNAP OUT OF IT! This is not the woman you were meant to be.  It's not your authentic self and being authentic is what people do love about you. 

I hope you have finally received that bachelors degree and finally found a place to live where you can have your own bedroom that isn't shared with the living room. More importantly though, those girls are teenagers now.  Wow.  I hope that you have raised them to feel comfortable enough to come to you openly with their problems.  I really hope its not as scary as I think it will be dealing with teenage girls :-)  I want for you to continue to raise them with even more love, patience (try try try!) and guidance. 

I hope you met a man that understands and appreciates you and wants to be around you.  I hope that you feel the same way about him. If you haven't met this man then I pray you have found contentment in yourself and your life to be just as secure and happy while you are waiting. I believe that it will be worth the wait in order to have all things be as they are meant to be. Most of all I hope you are still learning and becoming even stronger of a woman.  Never lose your authentic and loving side. Finally, I hope that your anticipation for the next five years is filled with hope and excitement and lacks any fear. 


Well it was definitely kind of weird to talk to myself just then.... but definitely a great exercise in thought.

What would you tell yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome...well done!
    Blessings Love...I know you don't know it or that you don't feel it...which/whatever...but you are fine and normal and well you are FABULOUS!
    <3 A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done. We have a bit in common. Have a great day. E :)

    ReplyDelete