Sunday, June 5, 2011

Trust30 day 6 Writing Challenge

Come Alive by Jonathan Mead

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.
Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?


If I had one week left to live I can say for the most part I would not be doing what I'm doing now.  I actually don't want to be doing what I'm doing now even if I had 50 more years left to live.  This is probably one of my greatest struggles. I am referring to the job I'm in, the place I live and outside of my children - how alone I feel.  I have dreams and aspirations but I put them on hold based on fear. I want to open a cafe but if that business falls through - what then?  I want to do something with my love of photography but what if that doesn't give a steady income?  You see I'm not allowed to be selfish.  There are many "buts" and "what if's" that go along to every dream because I have two children that rely on me to be successful NOW.  So I stay in the job that gives me a steady income.  I go to school studying in a field I really don't have a desire to work in only because I know its a reliable field to find work.  

The one and only thing that I wouldn't stop being is a Mom.  It's the only reward I have to my life currently and it is the most challenging.  I learn through them.  It is my one and only constant source of giving and receiving of love.  I crave it.  It gets me out of my bed every day.  It gets me to work every day.  It pushes me through school.  It makes me want to be a better person - every single day.  If there is one thing that I can work at and hope to succeed at is to be the best mother I can be.  Someone they can look up to,  someone they can talk to openly and know that they are never alone. 

The way I look at it is once they are grown and on their own and hopefully thriving independent women then well I have my chance at doing what I want to do.  I'm not exactly sure if this is what Mr. Emerson would have me doing but I still have much to learn don't I? 

3 comments:

  1. Your goal of being the best Mother you can be to your girls is quite a goal and a noble one. I wish for you, nay I pray that you will see that NOT doing something for fear is self-defeating....it is only the FEAR holding you back...a coffee cafe, with a proprietess such as yourself, your style, your love for the prospect could only succeed...and your photography! Your eye, your natural talent would bring joy and beauty to the life of others...You will do these things, and you could do them now and those girls would be so proud of your courage!!!! You will succeed, your spirit demands it!
    Blessings,
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a leap is always scary but sometimes you just have to step off the ledge and try to fly. If you fall, at the least you will never be with those timid souls who never had the guts to give it a go.
    Build a business plan for the cafe or for your photog business, talk to people in the business and how they succeed. Once you have a business plan, see if someone is willing to back you. Also as a single mom and a female business owner you may be able to get some grants to help you start up and keep you running for a bit.
    Do it doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay read "day 7" post and tell me if you think differently LOL thanks sweets!

    ReplyDelete